Saturday, June 20, 2015

Windows - SO exciting!

Hello All, today is June 19.We’re having a lovely steady rain - the leftovers of Bill which I’m very grateful for. I just don’t learn - we moved some trees a few weeks ago and boy are they irritated with us!


I tweaked my back on Tuesday - I was vacuuming, and moved to one side and bam. Most uncomfortable. Taking it easy which is giving me some time to catch up on the neglected blog.


Windows. I can safely say I have NO words of wisdom on them. Also can say that I much prefer Ray and Cody doing the work - which there is far too much of - than paying someone because you expect it to be done right and I feel like I can safely say that is FAR too high of an expectation.


So here we go. Everytime I try to save a dime it costs a quarter or more. We decided to order the windows in shifts. We were going to do two orders which ended up being a bad decision. The installer wanted to do them all at once which we didn’t know since when we ordered the first batch we didn’t actually have an installer. We got them all ordered, delivered, and installer ready to go. Since it’s a 110 year old house there are many quirks one of which is in the original part of the house the windows are very high on the wall immediately under the …. can’t remember the name. Anyway, think victorian house, tall windows. So Ray and I are trying to figure out exactly where to place the study window. It was in a very odd spot on the wall - over 1 ½’ down from the ceiling. We were going from room to room. Made decision and let installer know. Ray and I go on our merry way. BBBIIIGGG mistake. Jeff the installer comes and finds me downstairs and wants to double check the placement - we go and look outside and I ask him why Lee’s bedroom window is GONE. They took out the wrong widow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you notice how I didn’t say fricken window or anything like that? I’m so proud.


Issue - one thing we have noticed is the contractors DO NOT PICK up after themselves. We don’t remember this being an issue with the Covey reno. Ray was always around when workers were here and of course we did so much work ourselves AND Haven is at least double the work, probably triple. Still, so much room for improvement.


That little window on the top left is the study window that we replaced.
0213151509a.jpg


This is the window that didn’t need to be replaced.
The one under it was the one that was suppose to be replaced.
0401151026.jpg


This is the area in the new dining room - two windows came out and we put in three.
0401151159a.jpg

This is Jeff installing the new kitchen window.
When we look at it it looks crooked - window is level - house is not.


0402151234.jpg


Cody and Ray took out the bar window - they took out the right window.
0404151536.jpg
The first window on left is in closet,
next new window in Gentleman’s Bath
next Laundry room
followed by Ladies Bath
next one is part of “new construction 1999” was in
bedroom that we took out and new is in gallery
The two windows below are what is now the dining room which we have replaced with 3.
The north door will be taken out in the fall (2015) with an 8’ door - can not wait!
0304151247a.jpg


New and improved:
20150620_122611.jpg


I forgot to mention about the new master window.
All excited but of course it’s not quite right. It’s very hard to plan it exactly right.
It will work - wish I had a do over - and I’m talking a few inches.


I can’t wait to build a picket fence around the HVAC units and the pool equipment.
20150620_122642.jpg


I really wish I had before pics prior to 1999.
We know the downstairs bedroom was added in the late 50’s.
We know the upstairs was added in 1999.
Anyway, notice the new study window -
HUGE improvement along with the new kitchen window that you can barely see.
20150620_122739.jpg


Very soon this fence will be moved. Yippee!
Hopefully Steve gets the fireplace up and running.

That is a whole different kettle of worms for a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment